Wednesday, November 11, 2009

PoP GuesT - JoeY SwinsoN

BLISS Editorial writer, Joey, makes a special appearance on rSEANd PoP to weigh in on Veteran's Day.
x
Veteran’s Day, have we forgotten it? I had a conversation with a dear friend this week and inquired if he knew what November 11th was, he didn’t immediately know. Once I told him what the day was he responded with “I knew that, that’s why our bank is closed that day”. This is not meant to put my friend on blast but it’s just evidence that we no longer celebrate Veteran’s Day in the manner in which it should be observed. This day is important to me since I have many friends and family that are currently serving or that have served. I am also an Air Force Veteran.
x
Why is this day important?
x
We forget what our military members are doing for our country. Remember the war that we fought to establish our nation, our own Civil War, WWI, WWII where we helped to not only defend our nation but to also save many people in Germany, Vietnam, or many other battles. Many people may argue that some wars were unnecessary and the cost of American lives was not justified. That may be a valid point but let us remember the soldiers that were part of those Wars…the Soldier who feared leaving his or her home because they knew they would not return…the Solider who found courage and marched into battle to protect and serve our nation. We measure the success of war by its outcome but we often forget those who have died or spent many months away from their family and friends to perform their duties.
x
I am a veteran but that does not mean I support our governments decisions pertaining to our current war. It does mean that I support every soldier and every veteran that has devoted their time, freedom, and lives to protect and serve the US. I am angered by the idea that my own Generation is oblivious to what this day means. I am furious that Vietnam Veterans are living on the streets dealing with mental disorders and substance abuse. How selfish can we really be to not take care of the same people who lost their comrades in battle while fighting for those back home. We don’t want to think about the American Solider that is in the desert with sand blowing into their face, sticking to their tears, as they hold the fellow soldier that is bleeding to death in their arms. We don’t want to think about that, now do we? We don’t want to question why we send back an American Soldier in a flag draped coffin but the reality is that after they had stepped on a landmine or were hit with a grenade they could likely fit into a shoebox. Those thoughts don’t belong in our head. Because God forbid we actually come to a true realization of what actually happens to our troops. If we did that, instead of sleeping in on Veterans Day, we might actually have enough appreciation to get our lazy ass out of bed and visit a memorial that has been established for those that have sacrificed so much. Then again, that’s too much to ask of our nation.
x
Am I beating up on you? If you fit into the group of Americans who don’t appreciate and respect American Veterans…then yes, I am beating up on you. The reason I am is because I am honest and true to my opinions and my opinion is that you should be ashamed of yourself for not showing respect to those who have protected you. I praise those who remember our troops and the troops that have served. I praise those of you who gave away all of your freedoms to be yelled at, to have your bodies put through extreme physical training, and to leave the ones you love in order to protect and serve our country. I am disgusted with our government for not supplying our troops with the equipment and protection that they need to fight the same war that congress allowed us to enter. I am pissed that our Senators and Congressmen are taking their summer and winter breaks at the same time that 19 year olds are being killed or have to kill. I am appalled of the care that we have provided our injured troops at Walter Reed. I am ashamed of how cavalier our nation has become when it pertains to safety of our sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters that are following the commands of their leader and our representatives.
x
Does that make me unpatriotic? I don’t give a fuck if it does, because I have served, because I have been to funerals where your entire body trembles as rifles are fired above a casket, and because I have cried as I have said goodbye to family and friends that are been deployed. My comments may not be politically correct and I don’t care. When CNN stops airing shit about Sandra Bullock’s child custody issues, or Michael Jackson’s death, or how the smell of pumpkin pie can boost your sex drive…and they actually start showing the reality of war and the value of an American Soldier’s life…that is when I’ll give a damn about if my comments have offend anyone. We need to get our head out the fucking clouds and start realizing the pain and agony that families go through every day when they learn that they will never see their daughter or son again.
x
Don’t be selfish tomorrow…Remember your Veterans.
x
©2009 - Joey Swinson
x
The opinions expressed in this feature are that of the author. rSEANd PoP will only give an opinion on matters that are written by the owner of this blog, but gladly welcomes the viewpoints of others, along with their freedom to express those viewpoints. (Incidentally, we can thank our veterans for those freedoms).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails